SERVICES FOR UNIVERISTY OF WINDSOR STUDENTS
Community Legal Aid (CLA) is here to help you! CLA is a legal clinic offering free legal advice and representation to University of Windsor undergraduate students in the areas of practice which are listed below. If you have a legal problem which is outside of our area of practice, we will be pleased to refer you to additional resources. CLA is staffed by law students working under the close supervision of experienced, in house lawyers. We proudly represent undergraduate students and provide legal services to financially eligible low-income residents of the City of Windsor and the Greater Essex County. If English is your second language, CLA has interpreter services immediately available to help you.
If you are a full-time undergraduate student at the University of Windsor with a legal problem, email or call 519.253.7150 to schedule an intake appointment.
Areas of Practice
We represent clients in the following areas of legal practice:
1. Academic and Non-Academic Integrity matters – the University’s internal system
2. Landlord and Tenant problems – maintenance and repair issues, some evictions
3. Criminal Law – summary conviction offences
4. Provincial Offences – highway traffic offences, provincial charges
5. Employment Law – employment standards – rate of pay, overtime, etc.
6. Small Claims Court – wrongful dismissal from employment, consumer protection
7. Family Law – summary advice on decision making responsibility, parenting time and support rights and obligations.
8. *Notarizations – providing a legal photocopy copy of a document such as a transcript or a degree.
9. *Commissions – swearing an affidavit.
*first two copies are free of charge
Workshops – Know Your Rights
Navigating your way through legal problems can be confusing and stressful. It is often helpful to learn about your legal rights before you encounter legal problems. CLA offers public legal education workshops on landlord and tenant law, workplace rights, family law and academic integrity. Our workshops are conducted by law students and lawyers. They provide general legal information on our areas of practice. We will be glad to follow up with individual advice sessions as needed. Have another topic that you are interested in? – no problem! Contact us and we will be pleased to review your request!
For further information or to coordinate a workshop, please contact us at 519.253.7150 or by email at CLA@uwindsor.ca, with “PLE Workshop” as the subject line.