Welcome to the CLA website! We will be posting information soon on the application process for law students who are interested in volunteering with CLA in the Fall 2022. The process will be posted on our website and an email blast will be sent to all uwindsor law students. Thanks for your interest in our program.
CLA offers volunteer opportunities to first, second- and third-year students. The clinic offers low-income residents and university student legal advice and representation in landlord tenant matters, criminal law - summary conviction, highway traffic, provincial offences, small claims, employment standards, wrongful dismissal, academic integrity, and family law advice matters. We request that you reserve a total of 7 to 10 hours per week for your CLA commitment, which varies depending on your cases.
There is also helpful information on the FAQ page.
Looking for practical legal experience? Need an experience that will set you apart from other applicants during second-year OCIs and the Articling recruit? Interested in working with real-life clients and giving back to the community?
Volunteer to be a Caseworker or Senior Caseworker at Community Legal Aid (CLA)!
Senior Caseworker applications due at 8 am on August 17. Caseworker applications due at 8 am on September 1. For more information and to apply: uwindsor.ca/law/clinics-programs
This is an important update for student volunteers that we are welcoming to CLA. CLA continues to undergo changes as a result of the cyber security incident at the University of Windsor. As such, we have modified our group time schedule and will no longer be able to offer group times on Thursday and Friday mornings. We have increased the size of some of the other group times to compensate for this change. We are also modifying our onboarding process for student volunteers:
1. All first-time volunteers will be required to attend the CLA/LAW orientation session on Saturday, September 10, 2022, from 9 to 1 pm. It will be held in room 110 Windsor Hall (the social work building located downtown Windsor). We will send you the orientation materials on Teams the week before the session. These materials should be reviewed before the session.
2. Group times for senior caseworkers are tentatively scheduled to start the week of September 19, 2022. The mandatory 2-hour weekly group meetings will be held at the CLA offices located at suite 200, 443 Ouellette (downtown Windsor). Senior caseworkers will receive an email from Stacey Marion the week of August 22, 2022, confirming their acceptance and assigned group time.
3. Group times for caseworkers are tentatively scheduled to start the week of October 3, 2022. The mandatory 2-hour weekly group meetings will be held at the CLA offices located at suite 200, 443 Ouellette (downtown Windsor). Caseworkers will receive an email from Stacey Marion the week of September 6, 2022, confirming their acceptance and assigned group time.
4. All group volunteers, both senior caseworkers and caseworkers, will be invited to participate in the weekly workshops conducted by Review Counsel and held remotely on MS Teams. The dates and times will be confirmed and released prior to the start of group times. These workshops will cover essential practice issues and skill building exercises to assist you in your clinical work.
5. Group times are led by our summer students who will be the Group Leaders during the fall and winter terms. Depending on the group size your group may have one or two Group Leaders. The role of the Group Leader is to oversee the work, mentor you, provide support and be a resource to you at the clinic.
We have made these adjustments to our schedule to ensure that we are able to successfully onboard our volunteers and provide you with the necessary orientation to our clinic operations. We are adapting our file management system and your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated. If you are not chosen for a group, we would encourage you to reapply for the winter term. The number of applications exceed the number of available positions. We are excited to work with you.